Phuket Sandbox 7 + 7 Extension
Source: TAT www.tatnews.org
7 nights in Phuket + 7 nights in selected areas in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani, and afterwards can travel to other destinations in Thailand.
Bangkok, 17 August 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to provide general information on the “Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension” programme, which is an upgrade on the existing Phuket Sandbox programme.
Starting from 16 August, 2021, the “Phuket Sandbox 7+7 Extension” programme offers fully vaccinated international travellers to reduce the mandatory stay in Phuket from 14 to
7 days, after which another 7 nights can be spent in Krabi (Ko Phi Phi, Ko Ngai, or Railay), Phang-Nga (Khao Lak or Ko Yao), or Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, or Ko Tao).
Measures to enter Thailand for Thais and non-Thai nationals
Travellers must travel from countries/territories approved by Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) (see the list below), and must have been in the said countries for no less than 21 days before their travel date – except Thai nationals and foreign expatriates returning from overseas. They must apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE), using the following documents :
- Copy of valid passport
- Copy of the payment confirmation for no less than 14 nights stay at SHA Plus-certified hotel/s and for RT-PCR tests via www.thailandpsas.com. If the length of stay is less than 14 nights, travellers must also present a confirmed flight ticket out of Thailand
- A certificate of vaccination against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Thailand’s Ministry of Public Health or the World Health Organisation (WHO) no less than 14 days before their travel date.
- Copy of an insurance policy in English covering healthcare and treatment expenses for COVID-19 per applicant for the whole duration in Thailand with coverage clearly identified as no less than US$100,000.
Travellers must undergo exit screening before departure, must and present all required documentation including a medical certificate with a laboratory result by an RT-PCR method indicating that COVID-19 is not detected no more than 72 hours before their travel date.
Travellers under 18 years of age, travelling with their parents or guardians, must have a medical certificate with a laboratory result by an RT-PCR method indicating that COVID-19 is not detected no more than 72 hours before their travel date.
- Travellers on direct, non-stop international flights to Phuket International Airport are subject to health screening, including a COVID-19 test*, and Immigration and Customs procedures at the point of entry. Click to see the “7-Step Flow at Phuket International Airport” or “7 Steps 7 Countdown”.
- Travellers must download and install an alert application, as well as set the application on at all times for the whole duration in Thailand.
Then proceed directly to the reserved hotel on the approved airport transfer service.
- Wait for the result of the first COVID-19 test (conducted upon arrival or Day 0) in the hotel room only. If testing negative for COVID-19, travellers can go anywhere in Phuket
*Children under 6 years of age will receive a COVID-19 saliva test.
During the Stay
Travellers are required to take additional RT-PCR tests as per the following:
- Travellers with a length of stay less than 7 days are required to take another test on Day 6-7.
- Travellers with a length of stay between 10-14 days are required to take the second test on Day 6-7 and the third test on Day 12-13.
- If testing positive for COVID-19, travellers will be referred to specified healthcare facilities for medical treatment, for which the expenses must be covered by the required insurance.
Travellers are welcome to visit Phuket only and can stay less than 14 nights. However, they must leave Phuket immediately on an international flight to another country.
- During the stay, they are still required to take additional RT-PCR tests on Day 6-7 and/or on Day 12-13.
- Travellers must have completed 14 nights in Phuket before being allowed to visit other Thai destinations than the selected areas in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani. They must also have tested negative for COVID-19 for two more times on Day 6-7 and Day 12-13.
Phuket Sandbox 7 +7 Extension
- Before being allowed to travel to the selected areas in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani, travellers must obtain a ‘Transfer Form’ issued by their hotel in Phuket indicating that they have stayed in Phuket for 7 nights, which they will need to show together with the negative results of their two COVID-19 tests (conducted on Day 0 and Day 6-7 in Phuket).
- Travelling from Phuket to the selected areas in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thai is available only via approved routes and approved modes of transport.
- Krabi (Ko Phi Phi, Ko Ngai, or Railay) can be reached by SHA Plus-certified boat and ferry services from the approved piers – Ao Po Pier, Chalong Pier, Rassada Pier, and Wisit Panwa Pier.
- Phang-Nga (Khao Lak) can be reached by SHA Plus-certified car transfer services from Phuket direct to the SHA Plus-certified hotels.
Phang-Nga (Ko Yao Noi or Ko Yao Yai) can be reached via SHA Plus-certified boat and ferry services from the approved piers – Ao Po Pier and Ao Po Grand Marina- to Ko Yao Yai’s Chonglat Pier and Ban Laem Yai Pier and to Ko Yao Noi’s Manoh Pier.
- Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, or Ko Tao) can be reached via Bangkok Airways’ direct domestic flight on the Phuket-Ko Samui route.
Once travellers have completed the 7-night extension in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani, and have tested negative in their third COVID-19 test (conducted on Day 12-13), they will receive a ‘Release Form’ from their hotel, and will be able to continue their journey to other destinations in Thailand.
If the stay in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani is less than 7 nights, travellers must proceed directly to Phuket International Airport on the day of departure. At the port of entry back into Phuket, they will need to show a plane ticket or other proof of their international travel from Phuket.
While in Thailand, travellers are advised to continue with the D-M-H-T-T-A precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19: D – Distancing, M – Mask wearing, H – Handwashing, T – Temperature check, T – Testing for COVID-19, and A – alert application.
International / Domestic Departure
- For travelling from Phuket to other countries, travellers are advised to follow the guidelines and measures announced by the respective country of their destination.
- For travelling from Phuket to other Thai destinations, travellers are required to show proof that they have completed a 14-night stay in Phuket together with the negative results of their three COVID-19 tests along with other required documentation per the guidelines and measures announced by the respective destinations.
- For travelling from Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani to other Thai destinations, travellers are required to show proof that they have completed a 7-night stay in Phuket and another 7-night stay in Krabi, Phang-Nga, or Surat Thani together with the negative results of their three COVID-19 tests along with other required documentation per the guidelines and measures announced by the respective destinations.